Hi, in this guide I will explain how to re-flash chaos_calmer on an open WRT device with Barrier Breaker installed. The router I refer is tplink WR841n, which is of hardware version v11. In the official website of OpenWRT, it specifies that the chaos_calmer (15.05.1) of v10 image is compatible with the v11. Therefore, v10 of chaos_calmer image is used in this tutorial.
- Download tl-wr841n-v10-squashfs-factory.bin on to Windows and rename as wr841nv10_tp_recovery.bin.
- As explained in post (no.2 under Security –>ethical hacking of this blog ), use WinSCP software to transfer this file to the router. Then flash the image using
sysupgrade -F -v wr841nv10_tp_recovery.bin
- Now, wait until the router reboots. Once rebooted you can see the lights of router as shown in the below image.
- If you try to connect to the router through SSH at this moment, it will ask for a password. Although the default setting has no password, you will get permission denied.
- Therefore, first use the LuCi GUI comes with chaos_calmer firmware, to set a password.
- Open the browser –> visit 192.168.1.1 –> You can login to the root user account without a password.
- Next, click on the “password configuration link” on message at the top. Set a new password, and also select the SSH access interface to lan.–> Save and apply. (Do not open the GUI on more than one tab on the browser. It will avoid saving the settings.)
- Again, if you try to connect to through ssh. You can use the updated password to login.
Cheers !!! 🙂